When people are asked about their “bucket list” of experiences, travel is always at the top of the list.
Sometimes, the lists include exotic locales in far-away lands or mesmerizing sights like the aurora borealis. Others have more modest lists that include simpler things they just haven’t gotten around to yet, like going horseback riding or whitewater rafting/kayaking.
Bath County offers some extraordinary opportunities that might appear on any bucket list. We have put together some suggestions for a Bath County-specific list. How many have you checked off?
• Catch a big fish. If you have always wanted to learn to fly fish, this is your chance to learn from a local outfitter or guide.
• Follow the self-guided historic tour of Warm Springs and West Warm Springs. You’ll see interesting architecture and get a glimpse into the county agricultural heritage.
• Expand your culinary horizons. Creative chefs at places like The Omni Homestead, Les Cochons D’Or, Waterwheel, Tavern at the Inn at Warm Springs, Fort Lewis Lodge and Farm and more are constantly developing new menu items that often feature locally-grown products.
• Ride the zipline, discover falconry, learn to shoot skeet or indulge in other adventures at The Omni Homestead. Note that some activities are just for guests but others are open to non-guests with advance arrangements.
• Test your endurance by hiking or mountain biking the trails at Douthat State Park, which is widely recognized as one of the best destinations for mountain biking in Virginia. You’ll be rewarded with some nice views.
• On a clear night, turn off all the lights and gaze up at the stars. The dark sky conditions in Bath County make the stargazing absolutely breathtaking.
• Stay overnight at one (or even better, visit them all) the amazing, unique and historic lodging properties around the county. The biggest and best-known is The Omni Homestead, but there are award-winning B&Bs and some boutique properties that defy classification.
• Explore all five routes in our Motorcycle Rides & Scenic Drives brochure. They will introduce you to all corners of the county and our beautiful neighboring counties. The rides are definitely fun on a motorcycle or a convertible, but the family sedan will do.
If you’re a golfer, play the courses at The Omni Homestead, where pro golf legend Sam Snead served as a caddy during his teen years. Professionals, celebrities, presidents and royalty have played these courses