Enjoy this two-day Epic Guy’s Weekend:
• Start with a hearty breakfast. With a full day of activities planned, you’re going to need the energy. If you’re staying at a local inn or resort, they will surely offer an amazing meal to start your day. If you’re staying at a rental property with a kitchen, you’re only limited by your imagination – have eggs benedict or a bowl of cereal. There is no judging on guy’s weekend.
• Grab your tackle box and go reel in a big one. If you’re the kind who likes fishing from your canoe or kayak or bass boat, head down to Lake Moomaw. There is a boat launch at Bolar Flat. If you prefer to wade into a river for some fly fishing, you can access the Jackson River in the Hidden Valley Recreation Area or the Cowpasture River at the Walton Tract. If you’re interested in improving your skills, consider a guided fishing trip.
• For some, Guy’s Weekend is synonymous with Golf Weekend. That’s why we’re including 18 holes on both days of this two-day itinerary. The Omni Homestead offers some of the finest golfing in Virginia. Advance reservations are needed. If you’re not staying at The Homestead, be aware that guests get first priority on tee times.
Don’t worry, if you’re not a golfer, there are plenty of other options.
• By this time of day, you have earned a beverage and a great meal. Check out Bath County’s craft brewery, Bacova Beer, located in downtown Hot Springs. It’s a favorite gathering spot for visitors and locals, due in equal parts to welcoming service and great beer. Wine and other cocktails can be found at any of the county’s exceptional restaurants including The Omni Homestead, Snead’s 1912, Waterwheel, Tavern at the Inn at Warm Springs and others.
• Spend the morning playing 18 holes of golf at The Omni Homestead. There are two courses, so you can challenge yourself to score better on the same course you played yesterday or enjoy a change of scenery on the other.
• Douthat State Park has roughly 40 miles of trails. The hiking is great, but the mountain biking is epic. Pack some snacks and a water bottle and hit the trails. You’ll be rewarded with nice views and a feeling of accomplishment.
• Once again, you’ve earned a beverage. Try another brew from Bacova Beer or visit Rock Roadhouse Winery for a tasting (advance reservations required). Pro tip: Bring a bottle of wine home. It will greatly improve the chances of going on another Guy’s Weekend next year.
• Choose one of the great restaurants listed on Day One. Many local restaurants offer carryout options. If you’re staying in a rental property, you can order some food or cook in your own kitchen and have a relaxing evening toasting to a successful Guy’s Weekend.
Adventure Options: If you’re not into fishing, golf or mountain biking, here are a few other ideas to fill out an amazing two-day visit.
• About 20 minutes south of Hot Springs on Sam Snead Highway in neighboring Alleghany County is the Jackson River Scenic Trail. Located at the southern terminus is Alleghany Outdoors, a professional outfitter that rents kayaks and shuttles paddler up river. They also rent bikes for those who want to ride the JRST. It’s a converted rail bed, which means it’s mostly flat. It parallels the river and offers great views of the mountains.
• A fun way to experience the trails and see the wilderness is on the back of a horse. Find more information about organizing a trail ride on our website.
• Guests of The Omni Homestead have access to more than 30 activities. Non-registered guests may make same-day reservations for activities, such as horseback riding, falconry, the Cascades Gorge hike and archery. The Shooting Club, with trap, skeet, five-stand and sporting clays is open to the public with advance reservations.
A Note About Accommodations:
• The lodging options in Bath County range from camping to a historic grand resort. There are also independent motels, unique inns and lots of rental homes ranging from rustic to elegant. Note: Some people don’t think of B&B Inns for a Guy’s Weekend, but some of the inns in Bath County are more like boutique hotels or include freestanding cabins.
What to Bring:
- Bikes are available for a ride on the Jackson River Scenic Trail. Bring your own mountain bike for riding at Douthat State Park or on other trails.
- Kayaks and tubes are available for rent at Alleghany Outdoors. If you bring your own, they can provide shuttle service.
- Bring your own boat, canoe or kayak if you plan to fish at Lake Moomaw
- Bring your own fishing rods, reels and gear. Some assistance with gear may be available if you book with a professional guide. Fishing licenses can be purchased online
- Don’t forget a camera, appetite and sense of adventure