One thing that everyone who has ever been to Bath County will agree on – it’s beautiful.
The mountain scenery is unspoiled. There are no interstate highways, mega-malls, or skyscrapers anywhere in sight. The vistas are the same as when visitors began arriving more than 250 years ago. Sadly, they didn’t have smart phones. You can capture the natural beauty of Bath County, as well as its charming villages, and then share your photos with all your friends. Here are just some of the most Instagram-worthy venues in and around the county.
When you post your photos on Instagram, use #MadeinBathVa and tag the official tourism account @CountyOfBath
• A few minutes east of Warm Springs on Route 39 is the Dan Ingalls Overlook. There is plenty of free parking, a hiking trail and interpretive signs explaining what you can see. The expansive view looking east will take your breath away.
• Continue east on Route 39 down Warm Springs Mountain and turn left on Route 629 and another left on Route 625. Continue on Route 625 and enjoy great views of mountains, fields and occasionally the Cowpasture River. Note: A scenic drive loop that includes this area and continues into neighboring Highland County can be found in our free brochure or on DiscoverBath.com >
• Driving south from Hot Springs on Route 220, also known as Sam Snead Highway, is a scenic drive unto itself, past the golf course, farmland and mountain views. Once you cross into neighboring Alleghany County, you’ll come to one of the most photographed waterfalls in Virginia. Falling Spring Falls is an 80-foot falls with a stunning mountain backdrop.
• As you head north back into Bath County on Sam Snead Highway, turn right on Route 606. After about 2.5 miles, turn left on Route 703. Look for a sign and a small pull off parking spot for an amazing view of the valley below.
• When your return to Warm Springs, make arrangements in advance for a tour and tasting at Rock Roadhouse Winery. Not only is the winery housed in a historic building constructed during the great depression, the vineyard grounds offers some of the best scenic views in the county.
• What is everyone’s favorite thing to share on Instagram? Food! There are lots of great places in Bath County serving delicious, creative – and beautiful – meals, including Garden Room Café, Waterwheel Restaurant, Tavern at the Inn at Warm Springs, Fort Lewis Lodge, or any of the restaurants in The Omni Homestead Resort.